Friday, November 15, 2013

Taichung Flower Festival

Yesterday Cameron and I went up to the mountains near XinShe to check out the "International Taichung Flower Carpet Festival!" Every event here has "international" in the title... I don't think it means what they think it means... But, I guess there were a few foreigners there, so maybe that counts?  This event pretty much sums up a typical Taiwanese activity: grow giant field of flowers (or some sort of spectacle), make themed cartoon characters, set up a giant market, and stand around with umbrellas taking pictures of such spectacle.  This is the formula for a huge crowd of people and lots of sales. Despite the fact that it's just a giant money making scheme and the traffic up the small mountain roads was ridiculous, the flowers were beautiful and it was a perfect sunny day! And we did take some lovely pictures.

What festivals do they have where you are?

18 comments:

1. Per @ Perky ThoughtsNovember 15, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Lovely pictures indeed. So colorful!

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren Roerick MillerNovember 17, 2013 at 12:33 AM

2. Amanda @ Living in Another LanguageNovember 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Oh my goodness yes! I wan't to go! Apparently there's a giant field of those purple/pink flowers not far from where we live. I was too late to go see them this year, but hopefully next!!!

So beautiful! I love the picture of you and the yellow field!

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren Roerick MillerNovember 17, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Thanks :) Definitely go! We had a fun afternoon.

3. The flowers are beautiful! Stopping to smell the flowers sounds like a lovely way to spend a day! :)

We just went to a Deepavali Festival here in Singapore, and can't wait to go to others!

Cheers,
    Kristina

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren Roerick MillerNovember 29, 2013 at 12:28 AM

It was a lovely day! Oh! What do you do at Deepavali?

4. Holy cow! These are beautiful photos! They made me miss living in Asia terribly. (Although we were in Singapore, not Taiwan.) London actually has quite a few festivals given that the population here is so diverse. So one weekend might be a Diwali celebration and the next there might be a Gay Pride parade. You just never know! :o)

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren Roerick MillerNovember 29, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Thank you so much :) I bet there are tons of fun things going in London! How long were you in Singapore?

5. Amazing pictures!

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren Roerick MillerNovember 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Thank you!

6. Sandy at You May Be WanderingNovember 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Such gorgeous flowers, Lauren!! Thank you SO much for adding this to my link party!!

Have a beautiful day!

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren Roerick MillerNovember 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Thanks Sandy! No problem :) Thanks for hosting.

7. Someone should figure out a way to gather the pure joy that those flowers bring and bottle it for the cold, gray, dreary days of winter!

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren Roerick MillerNovember 29, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Absolutely. I could use that today on this blustery cold day!

8. I LOVE the flower castle! And I laughed at your description of how they use the word "international"--probably just to make the event sound more exciting!

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren Roerick MillerNovember 29, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Thanks! Seriously, I think they throw that word around a little much ;)

9. This rare, fall blooming farinaceous plant is additional ordinarily known as the Saffron Bulb or Saffron Crocus! It begins blooming in Gregorian calendar month and continues through October! The purple flowers have deep purple veining! It's orange-red stigmas square measure the supply of saffron, the worlds costliest spice! Plant fully sun or partial shade and well-drained soil. It grows 3-5in. tall. Hardy in Zones 5-9. In cooler regions the saffron may be full-grown in containers. you'll be able to harvest the saffron once the flowers square measure blooming. Hit's is one amongst the few corporations that supply this rare bulb to the agriculture public.
    Wedding Flowers

ReplyDelete
  10. It seems quite nice festival and the way of describing is also attractive. The images you have pasted are explaining the real beauty of this festival. I used to go there with get bus tours for business purpose. Next when I’ll visit this city must attend this festival. Hope till then I’ll complete my all hawaii tours.

ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...